Friday, July 16, 2010

First Mile Time Trial


MONDAY, MAY 31, 2010 2:02 PM, MST
Exactly two weeks after being released from the hospital, I had my initial post-surgery group workout this morning! Of course, everything was within doctor's limits except perhaps for the post-workout drink. Dean, Rob, Jan, and Katrina all participated or should I say pushed the pace. The lead changed hands several times so it was hard to keep track but I tried to hang off someone's shoulder at all times to get a draft. Outfitted with my Garmin, we "strolled" exactly one mile and broke a sweat to get to the finish line and break the 25:00 barrier: 24:55! I must admit that doesn't include the time we took for recovery at the turnaround but I think I deserve some slack. Much room for improvement but I know I'll look back on this day perhaps in disbelief and wonder if it really took that long to walk just a mile when I race an entire 5k much faster. Unfortunately or fortunately, I have witnesses who I'm sure will remind me. This morning, neither the time nor the distance were significant. What mattered was the camaraderie, the hugs, the laughs, and the joking (trust me, there was plenty) that I've grown so fond of over the years of training with the RxRunning group. Thank you, my friends, for lifting my spirits! 

No comments:

Post a Comment