Friday, July 9, 2010

Katrina Goes Solo at Go Red Luncheon


WEDNESDAY, MAY 12, 2010 5:35 PM, MST
Friday is the American Heart Association's Go Red for Women luncheon and Katrina is speaking! The original plan was to have us both on stage. I was going to share my story and then Katrina was going to talk about what it's like to have a mom who has heart disease. Slight change in plans :) Katrina is going to speak for the two of us, and she is so looking forward to getting up in front of 500+ women (yikes!) and speaking! You go, girl. Here comes the future president of the American Heart Association. Ironically, my surgeon is speaking immediately following Katrina. This was planned prior to ever knowing I needed a bypass. Hmmmmm. Gives me the goose bumps.

I couldn't be more proud of my daughter! Here is her speech that she will deliver on Friday:

"Hi. I’m Katrina Ward and I’m 11 years old.

My mom is a heart survivor. 

She was first diagnosed with heart disease four years ago at age 43 after having a silent heart attack and her first stent placed. 

Since then, she has had another THREE stents all placed in her left anterior descending artery. Her last stent was placed in January of this year. 

What's more unusual about my mom's story is that she DOES NOT have any of the risk factors. In fact, she is one of the most physically fit women I know. You see she's been running marathons for more than 30 years and she eats really healthy. So it doesn't make any sense that my mom has heart disease but it shows you that no one is safe from it.

Having a mom with heart disease has been hard. The times my mom had blockages in her artery, she got get really tired. That made me sad because then we weren't always able to do things together as a family. 

But my mom has taught me so much like how important it is to stay calm so my blood pressure doesn’t go up. My mom also has taught me how to eat really healthy. Mostly, my mom has taught me to love exercising. I love the time I get to run with her because it makes me feel good, we get to have fun together and girl time.  I'm so proud of my mom because through her running she has learned so much about her body. When her heart symptoms would reappear she would tell her cardiologist, and sure enough, blockage was detected and stents placed that have saved her life.

I was hoping my mom would be here with me to share her story herself.  
Instead she is at Banner Baywood Heart Center recovering from open heart surgery.

I love you, mom! 

YOU'RE MY HERO  :)"

In lieu of flowers or any gifts (with the exception of bottles of red wine :), I would much prefer that financial donations be made to the American Heart Association, 2929 S. 48th St., Tempe, AZ 85282 with a designation: Go Red for Women. 

Thank you....from the bottom of my heart.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment