Friday, July 16, 2010

Among the Unemployed


TUESDAY, JUNE 22, 2010 11:07 AM, MST
I became another statistic this week. Much to my chagrin, I joined the ranks of thousands of fellow Arizonans and filed for unemployment. Now, I play the waiting game while the government determines my eligibility and benefits. Well, I always knew, based on my work in crisis services and from personal experiences, how quickly life can change especially when you are dealing with a major health issue. I am just adding it to my list of stressors that I have to and will overcome. Regardless, it's really the pits. I know I'm certainly not the last person that will become unemployed, but like anything else in life, when it happens to you, and you're already in a crisis mode, it's hard not to wonder how much worse can things get. Maybe I'm naive in thinking that good things happen to good people, but maybe not. This afternoon, my hair stylist (for the last 10+ years), is going to cut and color my hair pro bono. It's tough being someone's charity case when I'm used to always being the giver; the one who provides aide and crisis services to those in need, but I'm grateful that I have people in my life who are willing to go that extra mile for me at a time when I am now the one in need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment